- Mi idioma, mi comunidad: español para bilingües by Elena Foulis and Stacey Alex is an open-access textbook for Heritage Language Leaners of Spanish that centers on students’ experiences with language, identity, and belonging in the Midwest through real-world applications. It uses a project-based approach that outlines how students engage in real-life applications by exploring culturally relevant topics in language use, arts, festivals, food, ethnography, oral history, digital lives, and the university. Through multimedia such as podcasts, videos, neighborhood maps, and music, we promote interactive exploration of culturally relevant content while supporting students’ language maintenance and growth.
Commercial Textbooks for
Spanish Heritage Language Classes
- Avanzando: Lengua y cultura (Intermediate course) Uses a guided and critical-thinking approach with systematized reprocessing to address more advanced concepts; culture is also a strong component but more focused on contemporary issues. Can be an exit level course, but in essence it looks to prepare heritage learners to be successful in advanced Spanish courses. Currently used at the University of Texas at Austin. Price: between $60 and $80, depending on print or electronic version.
- Conectando con mi herencia: Lengua y cultura (Introductory course) Uses a guided and critical-thinking approach with systematized reprocessing to allow leaners to recall and internatilize knowledge. Strong cultural integration that allows learners to expand their knowledge of their rich cultural heritage while developing bilingual skills. Currently used at the University of Texas at Austin. Price: between $60 and $80, depending on print or electronic version.
- ¡Conozcámonos! Curso práctico de español para el estudiante bilingüe en los Estados Unidos
- Conversaciones escritas Lectura y redacción en contexto
- ¡De una vez! A college course for Spanish speakers.
- Entre mundos An integrated Approach for the Native Speaker
- La lengua que heredamos Curso de español para bilingües
- Manual de gramática y ortografía para hispanos
- Nuestro idioma, nuestra herencia
- Nuevos mundos
- Palabra abierta
- Galería de lengua y cultura: Español para hispanohablantes [Curso básico e intermedio]
If you’d like to share a resource with the Heritage Spanish community, please contact Luis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|The text of COERLL’s Heritage Spanish website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Please be aware that some of the outside content listed on the site is copyrighted. See licensing page for more details.|