Spanish Heritage Language Virtual Library
The following titles are listed by author and may contain a hyperlink to the reading.
- Carreira, María (2014). “The Advanced Speaker: An Overview of the Issues in Heritage Language Teaching “. National Heritage Language Resource Center, UCLA.
- Durán Urrea, Evlyn and Jocelyn Meiners.(2019) “Creating and implementing open educational resources for the Spanish as a Heritage Language classroom” New case studies of openness in and beyond the language classroom. in Anna Comas-Quinn, Ana Beaven, and Barbara Sawhill (Eds.).
- Helmer, Kimberly Adilia (2020). Learning and Not Learning in the Heritage Language Classroom: Engaging Mexican-Origin Students.Multilingual Matters.
- López, Luis Ed. (2018) Code-switching – Experimental Answers to Theoretical Questions. John Benjamins.
- Baudrie, Sara M. and Marta Fairclough (2012) Spanish as a Heritage Language in the United States: The State of the Field. Georgetown University Press.
- Fairclough, Marta and Sara M. Baudrie (2016). Innovative Strategies for Heritage Language Teaching: A Practical Guide for the Classroom. Georgetown University Press.
- Fuller, Janet and Jeniffer Leeman (2020). Speaking Spanish in the U.S.: The Sociopolitics of Language 2nd Ed. Multilingual Matters.
- Garcia, Ofelia, Zeena Zakharia and Bahar Otcu. (2012) Bilingual Community Education and Multilingualism: Beyond Heritage Languages in a Global City. Multilingual Matters.
- Montrul, Silvina (2015). The Acquisition of Heritage Languages. Cambridge University Press.
- Peyton, Joy K. et.al. (2001). Heritage Languages in America: Preserving a Natural Resource. Language in Education: Theory & Practice. Office of Educational Research and Improvement.
- Potowski, Kim (2015). Fundamentos de la enseñanza del español a hispanohablantes en los EE.UU. 2nd Ed. Arco/Libros.
- Roca, Ana and Cecilia Colombi (2003). Mi Lengua: Spanish as a Heritage Language in the United States, Research and Practice. Georgetown University Press.
- Willey, Terrence, et. al. (2014). Handbook of Heritage, Community, and Native American Languages in the United States: Research, Policy, and Educational Practice. Routledge.
Newsmedia, Podcasts & Radio
- Campbell, Bradly. ‘OK, Dad. Why did you kill Spanish in our family?’.2016, January 18. In The World in Words.
- Carreira, Maria. Organizing principles and best practices for mixed classes. 2019, July 11. In National Heritage language Resource Center.
- Johnson, Stacey Margarita. Episode 83: Resources and Research on Teaching Heritage Learners with Maria Carreira. 2018, December 14. In We Teach Languages.
- Johnson, Stacey Margarita.Episode 84: Teachers’ Perspectives on Heritage Language Teaching with Kim Potowski. 2018, December 21. In We Teach Languages.
- Johnson, Stacey Margarita. Episode 116: Linguistic Variation and Serving Diverse Heritage Learners with Damian Vergara Wilson. 2019, September 13. In We Teach Languages.
- Johnson, Stacey Margarita. Episode 140: Heritage Language Maintenance with Angelica Amezcua. 2020, May 9. In We Teach Languages.
- Johnson, Stacey Margarita. Episode 142: Language Legitimacy and Imagining New Educational Contexts with Jonathan Rosa. 2020, June 12. In We Teach Languages.
- Glickhouse, Rachel. (2016). “¿Podrá sobrevivir el bilingüismo hispano en los Estados Unidos?” In Lengua Española of Univisión Noticias.
- Martínez, Lelia. (2017) “Strengthening Oral Proficiency with RICH” Language Magazine.
- Mathews, Joe (2016) “Is America losing español?“. In USA TODAY.
- Phillips, Camille. “¿Qué Es Una Lengua Pura?’: College Class Challenges Negative Perceptions of Spanglish“. 2019, Oct. 25. In Texas Public Radio.
- Potowski, Kim (2017). Language and Identity in a Dual Immersion School. Department of Spanish & Portuguese at UT Austin. (Slides available here.)
- Potowski, Kim (2018). Virtual Q&A with Dr. Kim Potowski. VIDEO
- Suárez, Matthew (2016). “I succumbed to Spanglish” In sandiegoreader.com.
- Brandenburg, Adrienne and Mary Beth Johnson. (n.d.). Adventures in Heritage Teaching.
- Cashman, Christopher (2020).“One Day In Online Heritage Language Teaching – April 2020.” The world of Senordineroman.
- Dóminguez-Fret, Nancy.(2017) “Spanglish: Cuando empiezo en un idioma and I finish in another”.
- Dóminguez-Fret, Nancy.(2020) “Experiences of Chicanx/Latinx experiences reading list.”
- Grosjean, François and Aneta Pavlrnko (2010-). “Life as a bilingual”. Psychology Today.
- Potowski, Kim. (2019).”Resources for teaching Spanish as a heritage language.” In Kim Potowski’s website.
If you’d like to share an article with the Heritage Spanish community, please contact Drew Colcher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|The text of COERLL’s Heritage Spanish website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Please be aware that some of the outside content listed on the site is copyrighted. See licensing page for more details.|