Adventures in Heritage Teaching_Heritage Teacher Workshop
June 14-16, 2021, 8:45AM-4PM MST
Adrienne and Mary Beth have put together THREE days with an AMAZING lineup of interactive sessions that will give you some great background knowledge on working successfully with heritage learners, as well as lots of time to process and apply what you hear about!
When: Monday-Wednesday June 14-16, 8:45AM-4PM MST
How: This will be designed as an synchronous workshop so we can make it as interactive and collaborative as possible. However, content portion of each session will be recorded and available available until July 14th, 2021 if participants need to miss a session.
Where: Virtual! This workshop will be held over Zoom and will use the Google Drive platform.
Who: This workshop will cater to teachers who teach (or will teach) classes for Spanish heritage speakers at the middle or high school level. This workshop is for both new and experienced teachers, especially those teachers interested in improving their literacy pedagogy and those teachers looking for ways to affirm and value student identities and language practices. Because it is interactive, it is especially valuable for teams to attend together. It is also valuable for curriculum specialists, teacher trainers, and curriculum developers who support heritage teachers.
Additional information and goodies:
- Participants will receive a certificate for hours completed.
- Participants can purchase 1 graduate credit from Colorado State University for $63; follow up work from the course (reflections, etc.) will be due June 30, 2021. Info will be posted here in late June.
- All participants will receive Adrienne’s complete course curriculum bundle for 9th grade heritage courses, courtesy of her Teachers Pay Teachers store Teach Like You Love It, absolutely FREE ($150 value). (If you’ve already purchased this, you are welcome to her bundle of 10th grade materials instead).
Cost: There are a limited number of spots and we like to keep the group small so we can make sure it’s a great experience for everyone. We anticipate that the spots will go fast! Please let us know if you have questions. Link to register can be found HERE.
- Early bird: $250 (+$16.85 fee) by April 15th
- Regular: $275 (+$18.38 fee) by May 15th
- Late: $300 (+$19.89 fee) up until workshop
Content: We are planning sessions on curriculum development, teaching reading, teaching writing, cultivating a love for reading in your students, preventing burnout and finding joy in heritage teaching, as well as either a session or a consistent theme of acknowledging, honoring, and validating identity and language practices in our students. Sessions may be modified or replaced based on the needs of the participants.