If you’d like to share a resource with the Heritage Spanish community, please contact Jocelly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commercial Textbooks for
Spanish Heritage Language Classes
- Avanzando: Lengua y cultura (Intermediate course) Uses a guided and critical-thinking approach with systematized reprocessing to address more advanced concepts; culture is also a strong component but more focused on contemporary issues. Can be an exit level course, but in essence it looks to prepare heritage learners to be successful in advanced Spanish courses. Currently used at the University of Texas at Austin. Price: between $60 and $80, depending on print or electronic version.
- Conectando con mi herencia: Lengua y cultura (Introductory course) Uses a guided and critical-thinking approach with systematized reprocessing to allow leaners to recall and internatilize knowledge. Strong cultural integration that allows learners to expand their knowledge of their rich cultural heritage while developing bilingual skills. Currently used at the University of Texas at Austin. Price: between $60 and $80, depending on print or electronic version.
- ¡Conozcámonos! Curso práctico de español para el estudiante bilingüe en los Estados Unidos
- Conversaciones escritas Lectura y redacción en contexto
- ¡De una vez!A college course for Spanish speakers.
- Entre mundos An integrated Approach for the Native Speaker
- La lengua que heredamos Curso de español para bilingües
- Manual de gramática y ortografía para hispanos
- Nuestro idioma, nuestra herencia
- Nuevos mundos
- Palabra abierta
- ¡Sí se puede!Un curso transicional para hispanohablantes.
Reference books about teaching Spanish as a heritage language
- The Acquisition of Heritage Languages
- Bilingual Community Education and Multilingualism: Beyond Heritage Languages in a Global City
- Fundamentos de la enseñanza del español a hispanohablantes en los EE.UU.
- Handbook of Heritage, Community, and Native American Languages in the United States: Research, Policy, and Educational Practice
- Heritage Languages in America: Preserving a Natural Resource
- Innovative Strategies for Heritage Language Teaching: A Practical Guide for the Classroom This book address new perspectives and orientations on designing Heritage Learning programs, assessing progress and proficiency, transferring research knowledge into classroom practice, and the essential question of how to define a heritage learner. Articles offer analysis and answers on multiple languages, and the result is a unique and essential text—the only comprehensive guide for heritage language learning based on the latest theory and research with suggestions for the classroom.
- Mi Lengua: Spanish as a Heritage Language in the United States, Research and Practice Mi lengua delves into the research, theory, and practice of teaching Spanish as a heritage language in the United States. The editors and contributors examine theoretical considerations in the field of Heritage Language Development (HLD) as well as community and classroom-based research studies at the elementary, secondary, and university levels. Some chapters are written in Spanish and each chapter presents a practical section on pedagogical implications that provides practice-related suggestions for the teaching of Spanish as a heritage language to students from elementary grades to secondary and college and university levels.
- Practical Advice for Teachers of Heritage Learners of Spanish This collection of personal essays addresses how to teach heritage learners of Spanish.
- Spanish as a Heritage Language in the United States: The State of the Field
In this comprehensive volume, experts offer an interdisciplinary overview of research on Spanish as a heritage language in the United States. They also address the central role of education within the field. Contributors offer a wealth of resources for teachers while proposing future directions for scholarship.
|The text of COERLL’s Heritage Spanish website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Please be aware that some of the outside content listed on the site is copyrighted. See licensing page for more details.|