- Creating Thematic Units for Developing Writing and Critical Awareness in Heritage Spanish Courses , a Lesson Plan Unit, developed by COERLL Heritage Spanish Project Directors Yanina Hernández and Dr. José E. Hernández (University of Texas Rio Grande Valley). This thematic unit is intended to develop reading, writing and a critical approach for Spanish Heritage Spanish courses.
- Video-based discussion activities for beginning Spanish Heritage Language courses , developed by COERLL Heritage Spanish Project Directors Yanina Hernández and Dr. Jose E. Hernández (University of Texas Rio Grande Valley) and a group of graduate students from the UTRGV M.A. Spanish program. These activities target learning comprehension in the beginning heritage Spanish courses by using speech data of interviews collected among Spanish-speakers from across the state of Texas. Heritage learners will relate to the linguistic forms and registers used by these speakers and to the topics and cultural practices discussed. We hope that these activities will have a positive impact on their motivation to learn the language, while strengthening their connections to their community.
- Survey for Heritage Spanish speakers : a self-report instrument used to measure the language attitudes of students who take the introductory Spanish course for heritage learners at the University of Texas at Austin. The survey consists of two parts: Part A is administered during the first week of the semester, and part B is administered during the final week of the semester. The purpose of this format is to measure any changes in the students’ language attitudes resulting from taking the course for heritage learners, but also to try and understand the factors that may contribute to these changes in the learners’ language attitudes. As we obtain data from the survey, we will continue to make changes to the survey to improve its quality and effectiveness. Please email Jocelly Meiners or Delia Montesinos with any feedback or questions.
- Create a Google account or log in to Google Drive with your existing account.
- Copy one of the surveys to your Google drive: Survey Part A, Survey Part B.
- (Optional) Use the form as is or edit the form before sending it to participants.
- Use the “Send” button at the top of the Google form to send the survey to your participants.
- View responses and scores in the “Responses” tab on your form (You can select to “Get email notifications for new responses.”)
- Mexican Muralist Movement Learning Expedition : a lesson by Yvonne Fariño from the CASLS InterCom newsletter
- A selection of activities created by the participants of COERLL’s 2016 Heritage Spanish Workshop
- Clase modelo para heritage language workshop (Carlos R. Naranjo, Rusquin Chádez, Tatiana Ferrer, Edgar Vargas & Rosalva Alamillo)
- PSA Activity for Heritage Learners (Cecilia Lara & Kenny Montgomery)
- Diversidad de la comida latina (María de la Luz Rodríguez, Gabriela Garza & Mariola Rosario)
- Anchor activity for 5th grade (Liz Evers)
- Anchor activity for a mixed class (Raquel Patricia Chiquillo)
If you’d like to share a resource with the Heritage Spanish community, please contact Jocelly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|The text of COERLL’s Heritage Spanish website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Please be aware that some of the outside content listed on the site is copyrighted. See licensing page for more details.|